Apple releases its first major update of iOS 11.
Two days after Apple started public beta testing of iOS 11.2, the company released the official 11.1 update to everyone with supported iPhones and iPads. It’s available as an OTA update that you can download manually from the Settings → General → Software Update. Apple is rolling on this update as a follow up to the big iOS 11 update from September. As usual, the minor iOS updates don’t introduce significant new features and changes, but they do improve the performance and fix some bugs here and there.
So, iOS 11.1 has been released for iPhone 5s and newer, iPad Mini 2, Air and later. It introduces a range of new Emoji and design changes to some old ones, but the most important feature in the update is the return of the 3D Touch gestures to open the App switcher.
There is also a bug fix of the reachability problem that came to light in September with the iOS 11 update. iOS 11.1 also includes a faster unlock animation, and a new camera icon in Restrictions. Among the bug fixes in this release is the KRACK Wi-Fi vulnerability recently discovered by a research firm. Read the full change log below:
– Over 70 new emoji characters including new food types, animals, mythical creatures, clothing options, more expressive smiley faces, gender-neutral characters and more
– Resolves an issue that could cause some photos to appear blurry
– Addresses an issue that could cause Live Photo effects to playback slowly
– Fixes an issue that could cause some photos to not display in the People album when restoring from an iCloud Backup
– Fixes an issue that could impact performance when swiping between screenshots
– Improves braille support for Grade 2 input
– Improves VoiceOver access to multi-page PDFs
– Improves VoiceOver rotor actions for announcing incoming notifications
– Improves VoiceOver rotor actions menu when removing an app from the App Switcher
– Fixes an issue for some users where alternative keys would not display when using VoiceOver with Touch Typing
– Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would always return to default action in Mail
– Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would not delete messages
Other improvements and fixes
– Adds back support for accessing the app switcher by pressing on edge of display with 3D Touch
– Fixes an issue that caused cleared Mail notifications to reappear on Lock screen
– Fixes an issue in enterprise environments that prevented data from being moved between managed apps
– Fixes an issue with some 3rd-party GPS accessories that caused inaccuracies in location data
– Resolves an issue where settings for Heart Rate notifications were appearing in Apple Watch app (1st generation)
– Fixes an issue where app icons were not appearing in notifications on Apple Watch
Meanwhile, Apple should soon release the first iOS 11.2 beta to public testers, as this compilation is already available for developers.